ENGLISH ADVANCED HIGHER NATIONAL 7
The Advanced Higher English Course aims to provide learners with the opportunity to develop complex language skills, to develop their ability to interpret complex literature and to produce sophisticated language.
The course will provide learners with the opportunity to apply critical, analytical and evaluative skills to a wide range of complex and sophisticated texts from different genres. Learners will also develop sophisticated writing skills in a variety of different types of writing.
The course encourages a high degree of collaborative and independent learning and the level of academic study is excellent preparation for university-level study.
Pupils would normally be expected to have attained at least a C Pass in Higher English.
- Write a critical response on drama/prose/poetry texts (20 marks)
- A textual analysis of an unseen poem or an unseen extract from a drama or prose text (20 marks)
The folio will comprise of two pieces of writing and a dissertation
Dissertation = 30 marks
Writing portfolio = 30 marks
The course provides progression to:
- Degrees in higher education
- Further academic study in English or related areas
- Careers in commerce and industry, education, journalism, law, marketing, media and politics